Jollyville is a historic neighborhood in Cedar Park, Texas. It has been called the “Cradle of Social Progressivism” in Central Texas and was also referred to as “The People’s City.” There are many things to see and do in Jollyville, including the Cedar Creek Residential Hallmark Historic District and its surrounding neighborhoods. The district contains more than 250 homes built between 1869 and 1951. Read on to learn more about this historic community. More info
What is the history of Jollyville?
The area now known as Jollyville was established as a community in 1868 by the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad Company (SA&G) as an attempt to attract more settlers to the area. It was originally called “Sugar Loaf” for the prominent hill on which it was built. The community was renamed “Jollyville” in honor of William A. Jolly, a railroad company founder who had visited the area in 1868. Jollyville became the site of the first school in Cedar Park, the Cedar Park Methodist Church, and the first Presbyterian Church in the community. At its peak, Jollyville was home to about 300 people. However, with the expansion of the city of Austin, which grew westward due to the proximity of the railroad tracks, Jollyville’s population declined.
Important People and Events in Jollyville’s History
In the early years of Jollyville, the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad Company (SA&G) was the driving force behind the community. In 1868, the company built a rail line westward from San Antonio to the Colorado River, providing the impetus for the settlement of Cedar Park and other communities along the line. The railroad also provided the impetus for the establishment of the Cedar Park Methodist Church in 1869 and the first Presbyterian Church in 1871. The first school was also built in 1869, and the first hospital, a large tent, opened in 1871. The Texas Legislature authorized the formation of the Cedar Park Improvement Company in 1883, with the purpose of acquiring and developing the Cedar Park area. Cedar Park School District was one of the first school districts in Texas formed for the purpose of development. The Texas Legislature established Cedar Park as a city in 1887. Find out this here
The most notable homes in Jollyville
There are many notable homes in Jollyville, including the Cedar Park Residential Hallmark Historic District, the Denton House and the Davis House. The Cedar Park Residential Hallmark Historic District is a collection of about 250 homes built between 1869 and 1951. The area was designated a residential landmark in 1967 and is one of the oldest residential districts in Texas. The district’s historic homes were built by many notable architects, including Dallas architect Charles L. Thompson, who designed the district’s most notable structure, the Retreat at Cedar Creek. Other notable architects include William A. Johnson, George W. Freeman, Robert Newcomer, Walter G. Schumann, Richard H. Berry, and George M. Fox. The district’s homes feature a variety of architectural styles, including the Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Ranch, Craftsman, Bungalow, and Victorian. Many of the homes also have architectural features, such as porches, gables, and wraparound porches. Many of the homes are also designed with distinctive architectural features, such as built-in cabinetry and tile work.
Jollyville roofing companies, we understand the difficulty such a situation can constitute to your finances and the ultimate comfort of your home. Providing the following services:
- Top Roofing Contractor – Our goal is to install, repair or build a roof for you that protects your business or home. We stand behind our work as your local roofing contractor in Cedar Park and our outlying neighbors.
- Top Roof Repair Contractor – is an integral part of proper building maintenance. It can be scheduled for 2 times a year and should be carried out by licensed and insured roofing experts.
- Top Roof Replacement Contractor – The prospect of replacing a roof should send a shudder through you. Think of the high cost of materials, the contractor, the equipment, the time, and the inconvenience to you and your family.
- Top Water Damage Restoration Contractor – Following water damage, it can be overwhelming for property owners trying to restore the water-damaged property. Water restoration is a complicated process that requires a professional company like Water Damage and Roofing of Cedar Park.
- Top Metal Roofing Contractor – Metal is an excellent roofing option that withstands severe weather and can last decades beyond traditional shingle roofs.
Jollyville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Travis and Williamson counties in Texas. It is a neighborhood in north Austin.
- Population (approx.): 16,151
- Geo coordinates: 30.453288°N, 97.762381°W
- Postcodes: 78729
Learn more about Jollyville, Texas here.
- Anderson Mill Road
- Turtle Rock Road
- W Parmer Lane
- Dallas Drive
- Partridge Bend Drive
- Montessori House of Children
- In-Home Montessori School
- Jollyville Elementary School
- Stepping Stone School – McNeil/Jollyville
- Pond Springs Elementary
- Live Oak Elementary School
- Deerpark Middle School
- Breakaway Airport
- Austin Executive Airport
- Lago Vista Tx – Rusty Allen
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Flying H Ranch Airport-9TX4
- Britts Crosswind Airport-91TE
- Austin is 17 miles.
- Leander is 36 miles.
- Cedar Park is 7 miles.
- Brushy Creek is 6 miles.
- Liberty Hill is 21 miles.
- Pflugerville is 12 miles.
- Round Rock is 8 miles.
- Volente is 12 miles.
Fun Things To Do Around Jollyville Texas
- Rattan Creek Park – Grounds include courts to play tennis, basketball & volleyball, covered pavilions & a swimming pool.
- iFLY Austin – High-tech indoor attraction boasting vertical-wind-tunnel-powered skydiving simulation.
- Hubert C. Schroeter Neighborhood Park – Quaint green space with picnic tables & grills, a playground & a basketball court.
- Austin Aquarium – Small, family-friendly aquarium with many varieties of sea life, plus touch tanks & frequent events.
- Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park – Large-scale indoor trampoline center hosting open jump, fitness classes, dodgeball & parties.